Book: The White Tiger
Author: Arvind Adiga
Hmmmm..... Indeed a much-talked about piece of work written by Arvind Adiga . But I still wonder how on earth it could have won a prize as prestigious as Booker . After having read this book, I have lost all my faith in the jury of the Booker award
A book which will definitely expose the wicked side of we Indians, or rather we humans as a whole.The format of the book is rather weird-- with a font size similar to that of Enid Blytons' series and the chapters written as letters to someone sitting over there in China. The entire concept appeared nothing less than a drama..
The way an illiterate villager murders his master ( oddly without any appealing and convincing reason) , his story from "rags-to-riches"-- a total bullshit I should say . Seems to be a book to add more depression to this world . Moreover, the kind of words which the author used to describe the three landlords is quite pissing . Couldn't he choose to assign some cute names to them :P .
The book essentially explores the entire gamut of emotions which the protaganist in the story goes through starting from a mere tea-server in an unknown village in Bihar to a driver in Delhi to an entrepreneur in the city of Bangalore. My association with both these cities proved to be the motivating spirit behind reading this novel. The comparisons drawn out by the author between two sons of the same father are quite livid and thought-provoking-one irrational to the maximum possible degree and the other cool and placid to the hilt .
The book wouldn't have irked me much had the good master not resorted to some prostitutes for making up the loss of her wife after they had got divorced . Dont know why..maybe my small field of viewpoint or what, but surely, I didn't like it at all. And to add icing to the cake, the scounderel servant who murdered his master, without caring a damn about what would happen to his family , is merrily living and sending out letters to the head of states.
Anyways, I think now I am pacified enough to ponder over some of its good points too . The description about hens,rooster-coops etc was quite a worth-read . The book somewhat describes the complex scenario going on inside the minds of apparanetly calm servants. Those bastard servantly thoughts ... how treachourous can they be... oops! I think i was trying to write some good points about the book but got swayed away.
If you have already read some of the bookers, then definitely you won't be shocked to read this crap. But honestly speaking, I dont think it has helped me much except for adding some words and adult pharses into my mind :)
P.S. This is a modified version to the orginal draft -- thanks to my teacher who feels quite happy in seeing me painted in bad light in front of the world :P
No comments:
Post a Comment